Polymer-inorganic protective coatings for surfaces of different nature
The composition of the scientific group: Svitlana Zhyltsova, Ph.D. in Chemistry, Assistant Professor of the Department of Biophysical Chemistry and Nanobiotechnology, Nataliya Leonova, Ph.D. in Chemistry, Assistant Professor of the Department of Inorganic, Organic and Analytical Chemistry
General information about the research group implementing the project
The research team has been working on the problem since 2005. The research deals with sol-gel synthesis and determining the structure and properties of epoxy-inorganic nanocomposites, which can be used as protective coatings for surfaces of different nature. The research results are presented in articles, conference proceedings, patents, and are used in the educational process.
Short description of the project
The project is aimed at creating composite coatings that would provide reliable protection of various types of surfaces from external factors (oxygen, high temperatures, moisture, corrosion, microorganisms, etc.). The use of different reagents, methods of synthesis, type and content of filler provides ample opportunities for adjusting the properties of coatings in accordance with the needs of the consumer.
The most significant results achieved
Physico-chemical fundamentals of the sol-gel process for the synthesis of epoxy-inorganic nanomaterials with improved physical-mechanical and barrier properties were developed. The increased adhesion of composites to various substrates helped to obtain protective anti-corrosion coatings for aluminum alloy surfaces, which can replace hexavalent chromium-based coatings used in the aircraft industry. Adding fillers of different nature to the base composition enables modification of its structure and properties of materials. Antifriction coatings were developed that can be used in cold plastic deformation, where sliding friction prevails.
The obtained materials can be used as adhesives in aluminum alloys, as well as protective coatings and antifriction coatings in aviation engineering, defense industry, production of construction materials, construction industry etc.
Thermocouple, spectrophotometer, conductometer, pH meter
- Lysenkov E. A., Leonova N. G., Zhiltsova S. V. Effect of the Silicon-Containing Phase on the Hierarchy of the Structure of Epoxy–Silica Nanocomposites. Theoretical and Experimental Chemistry. 2019. Vol. 55, No 4. P. 250–257; https://doi.org/10.1007/s11237-019-09616-3
- Patent 130662 Ukraine, IPC (2018.01), C08L 63/00. Epoxy composite / N. G. Leonova; # u 2018 04113; applied 16.04.2018; the patentee – Vasyl’ Stus Donetsk National University. Published: 26.12.2018 (in Ukrainian).
- Zhil’tsova Svitlana, Brovko Oleksandr, Leonova Natalya. Viscoelastic Properties of Amine-Cured Epoxy-Titania Composites Obtained by the Sol-Gel Method. Chemistry & Chemical Technology. 2018. Vol. 12, No 2. P. 202–206; https://doi.org/10.23939/chcht12.02.202
- Zhil’tsova S. V., Leonova N. G., Mikhal’chuk V. M., Lyga R. I. Epoxy-silica nanocomposite coatings of anhydride curing. Voprosy Khimii i Khimicheskoi Tekhnologii. 2017. No 5. P. 27–33; http://oaji.net/articles/2017/1954-1508237497.pdf
- Gavrilova V. S., Pashchenko E. A., Zhil’tsova S. V., Mikhal’chuk V. M., Mamunya E. P., Dub S. N., Tkach V. N. Thermal and physico-mechanical properties of antifriction solid lubricant for cold plastic deformation of titanium alloys. Journal of Superhard Materials. 2017. Vol. 39, No 6. P. 405–415; https://doi.org/10.3103/S1063457617060041
- Patent 107527 Ukraine, IPC (2015.01) C10M 175/00, C08L 63/00. Antifriction material for cold metal pressure working / V. S. Havrylova, V. M. Mykhalchyk, Zhyltsova S. V. et al.; # a201309286; applied 24.07.2013; the patentee – V.Bakul Institute of Superhard Materials of National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine. Published: 12.01.2015 (in Ukrainian).
- Zhil’tsova S. V., Mikhal’chuk V. M., Lyga R. I., Pavlii P. M. Effect of sol formation conditions on the structure and properties of anhydride-cured epoxy-siloxane composites. Theoretical and Experimental Chemistry. 2014. Vol. 50, No 3. Р. 191–196; https://doi.org/10.1007/s11237-014-9365-7
- R. I. Lyga, N. G. Leonova, V. M. Mikhal’chuk et al. Composite film coatings based on epoxy-polysiloxane systems of cationic polymerization and their anticorrosion properties. Theoretical and Experimental Chemistry. 2011. Vol. 47, No 4. P. 270–275; https://doi.org/10.1007/s11237-011-9215-9